The Union Area Middle School is planning to hold a Career Workshop, one time per month, for grades 6, 7, 8. It is our hope that we can get parents and/or members of our community to volunteer twenty to forty minutes to share features of their career. The time would be 2:03-2:52. It is our intent to get students excited about career exploration and understand the different career paths that are available to them.
During the workshop we would like for you to discuss some of the following topics:
- Who/what influenced your decision about your career path (interests, abilities, strengths, academic strengths)
- What preparation is required for your career (high school diploma, on the job training, certification, technical/trade school, college degree)
- Day-to-day tasks
- The most rewarding part about your career
- Work habits that support career retention and advancement (work ethic, leadership, tactfulness, being a team player, conflict resolution skills, problem-solving skills, working cooperatively with others, travel, technical skills, personality, communication skills, soft skills, etc.)
- What high school courses prepared you for your career
- Salary Range
- Demonstrate a particular aspect of your job and/or a hands-on activity
We are excited to have your partnership and support in providing career awareness to our students. Please feel free to pass out prizes for participation, bring props/uniforms/items related to your job. This will be an ongoing activity throughout the school year, and we are currently scheduling volunteers.
If you have any questions please free to call Candace Panella, Union Area Middle School Counselor, at 724-658-4501.